Saturday, July 25, 2009

And now for something completely different...


























Ok, so I realize, that Brian is holding Ivy in each and every one of these pictures... but I'm the camera girl. Also, he's in charge of the video camera, and he's not in any of those... so that's how it works for today.
She is Precious. That is a good word for her. Ivy's disposition is very mellow and easy going so far.
It sounds ridiculous to write this, but I feel like I know her more now at 6:30 pm than I did at 12:30 pm.
We (mostly me) were very nervous this morning. I can honestly say I've never been more afraid of anything in my entire life. The first picture here is right when Okada-san and Taz brought Ivy to our apartment-- litterally minutes after her arrival. I got to hold her first, and then Brian wanted her. We've taken turns with diapers and feedings and amusing her for the day. They stayed for about 1.5 hours... watched us change her and feed her. I've got to give props to my girl Sally for helping me get ready for those first moments. If I hadn't "practiced" on Donovan, I would have been in BIG trouble. We chatted for a few minutes about her schedule and habits and then that was it! We were on our own.
We both feel amazingly comfortable in this very new role. I'm impressed with Brian's alacrity for Fatherhood- he's a natural. He says the same of me (only motherhood, obviously). We haven't had a little cry that we couldn't soothe yet-- but tonight might be another story!
One of these pictures is of Brian changing his first diaper. The last two pictures are about 10 minutes apart. Brian said he just wanted to lay down with her on the bed.... and then he was snoring and she was asleep too.
Right now, he's feeding her a bottle as I write this.
We both are so happy, and feel very at peace. Ivy is a precious baby, and we can't wait to see what happens next.
Thanks to all of you who sent us good wishes and love today, such an important day for us. We'll try to update the blog often, so you can see what we are up to. Tomorow (Sunday) we think we will pop out to the park for a walk and see what that's like. Monday we go to the embassy for the first time. Tuesday, Embassy and the health check up.
Until tomorow....


8 comments:

  1. Oh my! What a special day, the most special of days! I am thrilled for you and little Ivy is beautiful. What a gift. I know you are enjoying her so very much! Enjoy these days in Tokyo, you will miss them.
    Dave, Samantha and Kaori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are so cute!!! Love the one of Brian changing the diaper :) I can feel the love flow through the photos. She is adorable, and the way she looks at you, like she has been waiting for this day just as much as you have.
    Can't wait to meet her. Enjoy the rest of your trip with your new love.
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! Cherish the moment - Tokyo (Japan) will always hold a special place in your hearts. Dreams really do come true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS Handshoe Family on becoming a beautiful family of three! Ivy is absolutely beautiful and so perfect! It seems like yesterday that we were just experiencing the same incredible joy. Enjoy the rest of your stay in an amazing city!

    Nancy, Tim, Tripp, & Kira

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS FROM KODIAK, ALASKA!! We are all so thrilled to welcome Ivy to the family. The pictures are absolutely adorable (TY for sharing!), she's a real cutie pie. And you both look like pros in these photos. Wishing you a great week of love and exploration, Cuz(s) Kim, Nahshon, and Finnegan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!! Ivy is so adorable and you both look like naturals. I'm sure you're just loving this special time with her. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
    -Rex, Belinda & Megumi

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, Margaret and Brian...what a BEAUTIFUL day that will be in your hearts forever! We woke up this morning so excited for the three of you! We can't wait to see your new little cupcake!
    Love, Ron and La Vonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're officially a mommy and a daddy now! <3 what a wonderful feeling that must be!! i LOVE that first picture of the 3 of you, it's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete